Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ryan Seacrest?


by Marisa Castro
(in picture left-right: Matt, Mike, Correy, Laura, Marisa and Leanne)

I met Correy at Santa Teresa through Melissa (Norman) and he and I took two classes together our senior year. He is truly one of the most remarkable people I have ever met and I feel blessed to have known him. He always had a smile on his face and kept things interesting in class - which was much appreciated as most of the lessons were repetitive. Plus it didn't really matter what our government or econ teachers were saying as Correy would stretch out in front of me and completely block the board, explaining to me: "Marisa, it doesn't matter that you can't see the board because you already know this stuff. This way my back and your brain can rest comfortably." This is typical Correy conversation and i cherish all the one's we've had, which regrettably have been less in the past year.

Correy is the kind of friend in which months can pass and then one day you read/write an email and pick right up where the conversation ended. But most of my fondest memories are hanging out in person at one of our friends houses, whenever I would return to visit San Jose.

Correy is a pillar of support to so many people and a wonderful listener. Last summer - I still can't believe it was a year ago - I was struggling to decide on if I should change career plans going into my senior year of college. It was incredibly hard for me to admit that I might be on the wrong path. Correy simply listened to my concerns - at a party no less - and gave me the simplest advice: :do what makes you happy. You're smart and can do anything so you might as well do something you enjoy." Correy is remarkable in his ability to be deep and caring, and then turn around and make you laugh so hard you cry.

My favorite memory of Correy is from our econ video project senior year of high school, in which Correy played Ryan Seacrest (who was eating during the entire shoot because Correy wanted to see Ryan eat something) and a man who had identity theft from a young girl shopping for shoes. It makes much more sense when you see them in person. Both roles were great.

I pray for Correy daily and believe he is in Heaven. While he is not physically here I will always carry his memory with me, as I'm sure everyone who ever met him does too. Correy will always be my friend.

No comments: